A TEENAGER has died after taking ecstasy at his grandmother’s house.

Harry Webb, 18, who was described as “happy-go-lucky”, enjoyed a close relationship with Jane Webb following the death of his mum when he was 16.

Harry Webb died after taking ecstasy while at his grandmother's house


Harry Webb died after taking ecstasy while at his grandmother’s house

An inquest at Exeter Coroners Court today, heard that on the evening of November 4, 2021, he had his best friend over and they had briefly popped out on two occasions before his grandmother Jane noticed a change in him.

She told in a statement that Harry came into her bedroom and was physically shaking all over and said he felt cold.

Devastated Jane recalled: “I could tell from the way he was shaking that it was not because he was cold.

“At this point I knew he had taken something. I asked what he had taken but he didn’t reply and left the room.”

Teenage girl, 15, dies after she is hit by car as man, 40, arrested
Dad's heartbreaking tribute to 'loving' boy, 17, who died in river with pals

A short while later she said she saw Harry calmly lying on the sofa downstairs in her Exeter home.

She said: “I was hoping he would fall asleep and the effects of what he had taken would wear off.”

It was then she said his friend told her he had taken MDMA, also known as ecstasy.

Harry’s condition then deteriorated and the emergency services were called. In the early hours of the morning, he was pronounced dead at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.

The cause of his death was confirmed as being the toxic effects of MDMA.

The amount he had taken was confirmed as being within the fatal range.

Harry, who was born in Exeter, had been diagnosed with autism and learning difficulties at a young age.

Mrs Webb described him as a ‘happy go-lucky boy’ who did not go out much as due to his autism, he struggled with day-to-day activities such as using public transport and did not like crowds.

Harry preferred activities such as online gaming with his friends.

Six months before his death, he had been hospitalised following a suspected overdose of recreational drugs.

However, she said she did not believe he was a regular drug user and was only aware he occasionally smoked cannabis.

She said: “I’m home every day. If he had been using drugs on a regular basis I would have known about it.”

Recording a conclusion of drug-related death, senior coroner Philip Spinney said: “The evidence does not support the conclusion he took drugs intentionally to end his life. It is more likely than not that his death was unintentional and an accident.”

Read Full Article